Placed Maps TV Viewing Preferences to Store Visits in New Study
Results Show Top TV Networks for Toyota, Honda, Ford and GM Customers and Marvel's Offline and Online Reach
SEATTLE, WA, September 5, 2013 - Placed delivered the first study that ties TV viewing habits to offline retail visits. Based on data from Placed Insights, Ratings to Retail – Fall TV 2013 analyzes device, network and show-level insights into Americans’ TV viewing habits and how these viewing behaviors relate to offline store visitation, with a look at many of the largest advertisers. To download the full report, please visit: https://www.placed.com/resources/white-papers/ratings-to-retail-2013
"TV advertising accounts for 40% of every media dollar spent in the US, yet it is one of the least quantifiable channels in terms of impact on consumer behavior," said David Shim, Founder and CEO at Placed. "This study is the first step in connecting what people watch to the places they shop in the physical world, enabling networks and advertisers to make smarter decisions around TV advertising."
ESPN Viewers Show High Likelihood to Visit Car DealershipsThe study leveraged Placed Questions, a feature within Placed Insights, which combines survey research with the direct measurement of consumers’ location activities. The study surveyed more than 10,000 mobile panelists about which TV networks they planned to watch this Fall and combined this with direct location measurement of their visitation to major car dealerships.
- The study found that ESPN viewers highly over-indexed in visitation to the four major car dealerships (GM, Toyota, Ford and Honda). GM showed the greatest skew with ESPN viewers 25% more likely to visit GM dealers than an average consumer.
Among other selected networks, the study found the foll%ul.list--squareng:
- ABC and USA viewers were more likely to visit Toyota and Honda dealers than an average U.S. consumer, but were less likely to visit GM and Ford dealers.
- FOX viewers were more likely to visit Ford, Toyota and Honda dealers. FOX was the only major broadcast network to over-index in visitation to Ford dealers.
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Most Anticipated Show of the Fall
Using Placed Questions, the study asked panelists which new series they were planning to watch this Fall among a %ul.list--squareected list of shows.
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ranked as the most anticipated new TV series with 29.3% of respondents planning to watch the series, followed closely by Sleepy Hollow with 28.2% of respondents.
- Viewers who were planning to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. were most likely to visit business categories including Movie Theaters (index 118), Toy Stores (116), and Arcades & Amusement Parks (112). This highlights the consumer relationship extends across mediums with the Marvel franchise, which encompasses movies, action figures, games, and theme park rides.
Download Your Copy of Ratings to Retail – Fall TV 2013
Ratings to Retail – Fall TV 2013: The Relationship between TV and In-Store Visitation analyzes device, network and show-level insights into Americans’ TV viewing habits and how these viewing behaviors relate to offline store visitation. To download the full report, please visit: https://www.placed.com/resources/white-papers/ratings-to-retail-2013
About Placed Insights:
Placed Insights is the first ratings service for the physical world, providing actionable intelligence into the paths and behaviors of U.S. consumers across more than 130 business categories and 1,000 businesses. Based on the world’s largest location panel, Placed Insights combines innovative big data techniques with trusted market research methodologies to quantify offline consumer behavior. For more information on Placed Insights, please visit: https://www.placed.com/placed-insights
Placed is the leader in location-driven insights and ad intelligence. Measuring billions of locations across the world's largest opt-in location audience, Placed provides the most comprehensive understanding of consumers' offline behaviors. Connecting the physical and digital worlds, Placed is the industry standard currency for brands, agencies, and publishers to measure ad exposure to store visit, target location at scale, and deliver actionable insights into consumer behavior.
Founded in January 2011, Placed is headquartered in Seattle and is backed by Madrona Venture Group and Two Sigma Ventures.