Placed Releases Retail Foot Traffic Trends for 2012 Holiday Shopping Season
Walmart, Target, Toys 'R' Us, Macy's, Best Buy and Kohl's See Super Saturday Among Busiest Shopping Days in December
Seattle, WA, December 28, 2012 - Placed (https://www.placed.com), the leader in location analytics, today released its inaugural analysis of retail foot traffic trends for the 2012 holiday shopping season. The results revealed that the weekend before Christmas ranked as the busiest shopping period in December by in-store visits to top retailers. Super Saturday ranked among the three busiest shopping days for Walmart, Target, Toys ‘R’ Us, Macy’s and Kohl’s, and ranked as the busiest shopping day for Best Buy during December.
"When taking a step back from the macro-level metrics around holiday purchasing behavior, and looking at data from a retailer level, it’s clear that a single day does not make or break a retailer’s holiday season," said David Shim, Founder CEO of Placed. "With offline purchases making up over 9 out of every 10 retail dollars spent, this level of insight is long overdue in the retail space. Based on these findings, there are clear opportunities for retailers to take action to drive potential customers into stores, and to gauge their performance against other retailers in this increasingly competitive retail market."
Top December Shopping Days by Retailer Based on In-Store Visits
Placed analyzed the shopping behaviors of opted-in panelists from its Placed Panels service (https://www.placed.com/placed-panels) to reveal the busiest shopping days for retailers this holiday season. Analysis of several key retailers, including Walmart, Target, Toys ‘R’ Us, Macy’s, Best Buy and Kohl’s, revealed the following insights:
- Super Saturday (December 22) was the only day in December to rank among the top 3 busiest days by in-store traffic for all five of the retailers analyzed (Walmart, Target, Toys ‘R’ Us, Macy’s, Best Buy, and Kohl’s).
- For Best Buy, Super Saturday was the busiest day for the retailer during December.
- December 15 (two Saturdays prior to Christmas) was the top December shopping day for Toys ‘R’ Us customers. The day also ranked highly for Target, Macy’s and Best Buy.
- Christmas Eve was the busiest day for Target in December and the 2nd busiest day for Walmart.
- Kohl’s was the only retailer on the list that saw the day after Christmas (Dec. 26) crack the top 3 busiest days in December.
Top Retail Gainers by Key Shopping Days
Placed also analyzed the retail landscape during the top December shopping days to reveal which retailers were the most successful at driving in-store traffic gains on Super Saturday, Christmas Eve and the Day After Ch%ul.list--squaretmas.
- Super Saturday: Black Friday standout American Eagle (https://www.placed.com/blog/black-friday-retail-winners-store-visits/) showed the largest relative gain in in-store visits on Super Saturday, followed by Express and Gap.
- Christmas Eve: Victoria’s Secret, Family Dollar, and Foot Locker saw the largest relative gains in visits on Christmas Eve. Macy’s, which extended its store hours on Christmas Eve, also saw strong in-store traffic.
- Day After Christmas: Cosmetic retailers Sephora and Ulta saw large relative gains with after Christmas shoppers. The day after Christmas was also good to the Apple Store, which saw significant in-store traffic gains as electronics become an increasingly popular component of holiday shopping lists.
Additional Holiday Shopping Season Insights
For more 2012 holiday analysis including a look at market share foot traffic for department stores, big box retailers and wireless carrier stores, please visit the Placed blog: https://www.placed.com/blog/2012-holiday-retail-analysis/
About Placed Panels
Placed (https://www.placed.com) measures real world behaviors of opted-in panelists through Placed Panels and the Panel App. Companies use Placed Panels as the platform to recruit panelists to measure and analyze the places their customers visit in the physical world. The Panel App is an application (Android and iOS) that consumers install to have their location measured. Placed processes measured data through its set of proprietary models that accurately assign a set of locations to a place.
Results in this report are based on over 720 million measured locations during the holiday shopping season.
Placed is the leader in location-driven insights and ad intelligence. Measuring billions of locations across the world's largest opt-in location audience, Placed provides the most comprehensive understanding of consumers' offline behaviors. Connecting the physical and digital worlds, Placed is the industry standard currency for brands, agencies, and publishers to measure ad exposure to store visit, target location at scale, and deliver actionable insights into consumer behavior.
Founded in January 2011, Placed is headquartered in Seattle and is backed by Madrona Venture Group and Two Sigma Ventures.