4 Billion Locations Predict Retail Winners and Losers on Thanksgiving
New Study from Placed Provides In-Depth Analysis into Thanksgiving and Black Friday Shoppers
SEATTLE, WA, November 12, 2013 - Placed, released a new study that found Macy’s, J.C. Penney, and Best Buy well positioned by being open on Thanksgiving, while retailers like Aeropostale, Ross, and the Apple Store are leaving money on the table by remaining closed. Based on data from Placed Insights, Holiday Shopper Profile: Offline Insights into Thanksgiving and Black Friday Shoppers, provides an in-depth look into holiday shoppers and the brick-and-mortar retailers they have a high propensity to visit.
Download the full report at: http://www.placed.com/resources/white-papers/holiday-shopper-profile-2013
“2013 marks the commercialization of Thanksgiving as the new start of the holiday shopping season, unseating Black Friday,” said David Shim, Founder and CEO at Placed. “Based on 4 billion locations measured in October, Placed is helping retailers determine if they should open their doors and capture dollars and momentum early in the holiday season, or remain closed rather than eating the cost of empty stores.”
Macy’s, J.C. Penney’s, and Best Buy Over Index in Pre-Holiday Visits Among Thanksgiving Shoppers
Placed surveyed 14,645 smartphone panelists about their holiday shopping plans and combined this with direct measurement of their offline shopping behaviors.
Placed data indicates that the majority of retailers opening on Thanksgiving have made a smart decision, while those remaining closed are leaving money on the table.
- Based on observed retail visits in October, consumers that plan to shop on Thanksgiving showed a higher propensity to visit Macy’s (index 120), J.C. Penney (119), and Best Buy (107), which are welcoming shoppers for the first time.
- Apparel (Aeropostale, Forever 21, American Eagle Outfitters), and Off-Price Department Stores (Ross and Marshall’s) ranked highly among stores that should open on Thanksgiving based on consumer affinity.
- Warehouse Stores, including Costco and BJ's Wholesale Club, under-indexed indicating they have less to gain by opening.
Black Friday Shoppers More Ethnically Diverse than Average Consumer
Demographic analysis of those planning to shop on Black Friday found strong skews among this %ul.list--squarement.
- Black Friday Shoppers were significantly more likely to be Asian (index 133), Hispanic (114), and African Americans (110) than an average consumer.
- Shoppers skewed younger, with those ages 25-34 over-indexing the highest, and were significantly more likely to have children.
Reaching Black Friday Shoppers Before They Hit the Stores with Mobile Advertising
In order to make the greatest mobile impact this holiday season, retailers need to reach holiday shoppers early, as waiting for store proximity may be too late to change shopper behavior. Events like Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping require marketers to think beyond proximity to reach the right audience wherever they are in the physical world.
Applying Placed Targeting to the Dallas Market, Placed found 27.4% of locations within 5 miles of the city center were considered high-affinity locations for Black Friday Shoppers, representing ideal locations to reach this shopper segment with mobile advertising before they hit the stores.
Additional key findings from the%ul.list--squareport include:
- 22% of survey respondents plan to hunt for deals on Thanksgiving, while 45% plan to shop on Black Friday.
- Brick-and-mortar retail is the preferred method of shopping on both Thanksgiving (54% of shoppers) and Black Friday (63%).
- 43% of Black Friday shoppers plan to use their smartphone to compare prices while in store, i.e. showroom.
- Based on observed retail visits in October, shoppers that planned to showroom on Black Friday had a strong propensity to visit retailers in Shoes, Beauty, and Sporting Goods categories.
Download Holiday Shopper Profile: Offline Insights into Thanksgiving and Black Friday Shoppers
Holiday Shopper Profile: Offline Insights into Thanksgiving and Black Friday Shoppers uncovers unique insights into holiday shoppers, specifically the brick-and-mortar retailers these consumers have a high propensity to visit.
To download the full report, please visit: http://www.placed.com/resources/white-papers/holiday-shopper-profile-2013
About Placed Inc.
Placed Inc. is the leader in location-driven insights and ad intelligence. Measuring billions of locations across the world's largest opt-in location audience, Placed provides the most comprehensive understanding of consumers' offline behaviors. Connecting the physical and digital worlds, Placed is the industry standard currency for brands, agencies, and publishers to measure ad exposure to store visit, target location at scale, and deliver actionable insights into consumer behavior.
Founded in January 2011, Placed is headquartered in Seattle and is backed by Madrona Venture Group and Two Sigma Ventures.