Last Updated: January 9, 2014
Collection of Information
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, download a mobile application, request a white paper, participate in a contest or promotion, fill out a form or survey, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, phone number, location, birthday, social media usernames, demographic information and any other information you choose to provide.
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, which may include the following:
- Location Information: With your consent, we collect information about the location of your device once you install one of our mobile applications (or a mobile application provided by one of our partners that incorporates our technology). We may also collect location information with your consent when you access our websites or our partners' websites. For more details, please see "Your Choices" below.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, sensor activity, unique device identifiers, applications installed and mobile network information.
- Usage Information: We log information about your use of our Services as well as your use of other applications and websites, including the type of browser you use, how long you access websites and applications, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our website.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us to improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as "tracking pixels"). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see "Your Choices" below.
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may receive information from:
- Advertisers and ad networks, including impression and clickstream data, location information and device identifiers, in order to determine the impact of ad exposure on consumers' real world behaviors;
- Third parties that incorporate our technology into their own mobile applications, including demographic information;
- Partners that enable consumers to download our mobile applications from their websites, including phone numbers and email addresses; and
- Social media sites if you choose to create or log into your Placed account using your credentials from such a site (in this case, we will have access to certain information from the social media site, such as your name, account information and friend lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by the site).
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our products and Services;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in order to gain insight into consumer behaviors and preferences and generate reports for our customers (see "Sharing of Information" for more details);
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by Placed and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Placed is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing and transfer of information in and to the U.S. and other countries.
Sharing of Information
We share information that does not contain personally identifiable information, such as your first and last name, address, and phone number. Information we share includes but is not limited to location and demographic information and device and advertising identifiers, with our customers to provide insight into consumer behaviors and preferences and to enable them to tailor market research, attribution modeling, and future ad campaigns based on such data. We may also share information with unaffiliated third parties whom we work with for purposes such as market research, product development and/or recruitment purposes. We do not, however, share personally identifiable information with third parties, except as follows:
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, rule or regulation;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Placed or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook "Like" button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Placed takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
For our mobile applications, you may update or correct information about you at any time by going into the settings screen within the application. If you wish to deactivate your account, please delete the mobile application, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
We currently require the collection of location information in order to use our mobile applications. If you do not consent to this collection, you cannot use our mobile applications. If you initially consented to our collection of location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by following the standard uninstall process to remove all of our mobile applications from your device. Additionally, if you consented to the collection of location data on our website, or on our partners' websites, and wish to withdraw that consent, you can adjust the settings in your Internet browser.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from Placed by following the instructions in those messages. If you opt out, please note that we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
With your consent, we may send push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings within our mobile application(s) or by uninstalling our application(s) from your device.