The Modeling Scientist will have the opportunity to research, design, and implement models that pull signal from a variety of data sets with varying attributes. The quality of data will vary from robust and broad to sparse and accurate. Alone these data sets have very little value, but when stitched together they act as a tuning fork that finds precision in a swarm of noise.
Placed is looking for a Modeling Scientist who is excited about this greenfield opportunity to apply both their professional experience and advanced education to solve this problem at hand. This candidate should have a history of working with disparate data sources to stitch together precise results in an academic production environment.
Why Early Stage Startups – You want to do more than contribute, you want to drive innovation. Rather than inherit code, you want to build it from the ground up. Early stage startups empower individuals to see their work directly impact the success of the business.
Why This Startup – Rising tides lift all ships, and in the case of mobile the tide is just starting to come in. In Q4 of 2010 smartphones outsold PCs for the first time ever, and all projections state that trend is here to stay. This translates to disruptive opportunity to challenge entrenched incumbents on the Web who haven't yet established themselves in the mobile space.
Who Are We Looking For – Requirements are listed below, but just as important is the mindset of each perspective employee. We're looking for people who want to build something, and own it.
Here is the type of person that we are looking to hire:
- Excited about the opportunity to define a new sector in the mobile space
- Embraces the opportunity to tackle problems others haven't
- Creativity and ambition to dive into a problem versus waiting for others to lead
- People who aren't happy with good, and build to great
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
- Direct experience with Machine Learning and Data Mining algorithms to find signal across noisy data sets
- At least 2 years (recent) programming experience in a production environment
- Strong Java skills and experience working in a Linux environment
- Proficiency in at least one scripting languages, such as Ruby, Perl or Python
Ideally Experienced With:
- Database experience (SQL)
- Hadoop and MapReduce
- Web and Mobile Development Experiences
- Information Visualization
Placed (http://www.placed.com) is a fast-growing mobile startup focused on giving brands, agencies, publishers and ad networks the ability to target location at scale, measure the offline impact of ads and deliver actionable insights into consumer behavior. We have offices in Seattle and New York City and are funded by Madrona Venture Group and Two Sigma Ventures. We have been featured on The New York Times, Forbes, CNN, CBS News and TechCrunch.
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Placed, Inc.
Placed is the leader in location-driven insights and mobile ad intelligence. Measuring billions of locations across the world’s largest opt-in mobile location panel, Placed provides the most complete understanding of consumers’ offline behaviors.
Connecting the physical and digital worlds, Placed gives brands, agencies, publishers and ad networks the ability to target location at scale, measure the offline impact of mobile ads, and deliver actionable insights into consumer behavior. Founded in January 2011, Placed is headquartered in Seattle and is backed by Madrona Venture Group and Two Sigma Ventures. For more information about Placed and its location solutions, please visit: http://www.placed.com/